Afor per person could be sent out , if the latest passes into law as scheduled. But millions of eligible Americans never received their , or had , due to . But luckily, it’s not too late to track down and claim that missing money. And there are a couple of different ways to do it, depending on your situation.
Now that it’s, most people will need to you for on your 2020 tax return. You can do this through a (even ). Some situations, however, may require you to contact the IRS directly and request something called a payment trace to track down your money. So how do you know which one you need to do? We’ll help you figure it out. (We’ve also got a list of some other , and you can use our you should have received.)
We’ll explain everything you need to know about an IRS payment trace, including the two cases in which you may need to request one instead of filing for a Recovery Rebate Credit on your taxes, and how to get started. We’ve also got stimulus payment guides for, , , and . Plus, here’s what we know so far about a , including , and . This story was recently updated.
Case 1: The IRS online app says the agency sent out your check, but it didn’t arrive
If your Get My Payment to find out its status. We have full instructions on . You’ll need to plug in your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, date of birth, street address and ZIP or postal code.is missing, you should first go to the free IRS online payment tracking tool called
The portal will show your payment status, if your money has been scheduled to send, and the payment method (or ) and date. You might also see a different message or an error. (By the way, here’s why you might want to if you haven’t already.)
You’ll need to request a Payment Trace if the Get May Payment portal shows that your payment was issued, but you haven’t received it within these time frames:
- 5 days since the deposit date in Get my Payment and your bank says they haven’t received it.
- 4 weeks since it was mailed by check to a standard address for the first check; after Feb. 24 for the second check.
- 6 weeks since it was mailed and you have a forwarding address on file with the local post office for the first check; March 10 for the second check.
- 9 weeks since it was mailed and you have a foreign address for the first check; March 31 for the second check.
Case 2: You got the IRS letter confirming your payment was sent, but you never received a check
About 15 days after the IRS sent your second stimulus check (by either, or ), you should have gotten confirming your payment and giving you a way to get in touch to report any problems. If you received this letter — also called Notice 1444 Your Economic Impact Payment — but you never received your payment, you’ll need to request a Payment Trace. Make sure you keep the letter — you’ll need the information to file your claim. (Here’s what to do if you .)
Here’s how to request a Payment Trace from the IRS to claim your missing money
To request a Payment Trace, call the IRS at 800-919-9835 or mail or fax a completed Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund. (Note that if you call the number, you’ll have to listen through the recorded content before you can connect with an agent.) Find out where to mail or fax that form for your state on the IRS website.
To complete Form 3911, the IRS provides the following instructions:
- Write “EIP” on the top of the form (EIP stands for Economic Impact Payment)
- Complete the form answering all refund questions as they relate to your payment
- When completing item 7 under Section 1:
- Check the box for “Individual” as the Type of return.
- Enter “2020” as the Tax Period.
- Do not write anything for the Date Filed.
- Sign the form. If you’re married and filing together, both spouses must sign the form.
You should not mail Form 3911 if you’ve already requested a trace by phone. And you should not request a Payment Trace to determine if you were, or to , the IRS said.
How will the IRS process your Payment Trace claim?
The IRS will do the following to process your claim, according to its website:
- If you didn’t cash the check, the IRS will issue a replacement. If you discover the original check among your belongings, you’re expected to return it as soon as possible.
- If you did cash the refund check, expect a claim package from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, which will include a copy of the cashed check. Then, follow the included instructions. The Bureau will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before deciding if they’ll issue a replacement. This is presumably to guard against .
When should you expect to receive your missing stimulus money?
You should get a response from the IRS about six weeks after the agency receives your request for a Payment Trace, according to its website. However, this could be delayed due to limited staffing.
For more on stimulus checks, check out all the, everything we know about a so far, and .
The editorial content on this page is based solely on objective, independent assessments by our writers and is not influenced by advertising or partnerships. It has not been provided or commissioned by any third party. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products or services offered by our partners.